Spiritual protection is a practice that involves using various techniques and tools to shield yourself from negative energy, unwanted influences, and psychic attacks. It is a way to create a safe and sacred space within and around yourself to navigate the world with more ease, clarity, and peace of mind.
“Spiritual attacks,” or negative feelings from spiritual energies, are more common than you think.
The concept of spiritual protection is found in many different traditions and belief systems, from ancient shamanic practices to modern-day energy healing modalities. Whether you are looking to protect yourself from negative vibes at work, psychic attacks from others, or to create a more positive and uplifting environment around you, there are many ways to cultivate spiritual protection in your life. In this article, we will explore some of the most effective techniques and tools for spiritual protection so that you can feel empowered and supported on your spiritual journey.
What is Spiritual Protection?
Spiritual protection is, as it sounds, protection from spiritual attacks or negative energies. The meaning of spiritual attacks and negative energies differs depending on who you are. You must remember that all of the spiritual work you do, or do not do but find yourself in, is a personal encounter.
That means that you may not be practicing any spirituality but still feel negative energy around you or your home or that you are practicing and wish to protect yourself and your space in preparation.
How to know you are spiritually protected?
- Have you ever felt under attack or uncomfortable around people or in places seemingly without reason?
- Do you often wake in the night in a panic?
- Do you have lots of nightmares?
If the answer is yes to any of the above, you would likely benefit from some added protection.
You can add a little spiritual protection to your life in many ways. Some you can do on your own without any items, and some will require you to own some things to help. First, let us look at the items that may help you with your protection:
Items for Spiritual Protection
- Smudge Kits
- Tibetan Singing Bowl Set
- Protection Stones
- Visualization (no equipment)
Visualization for spiritual protection
Other than the list above, you can use visualization for spiritual protection. This is the cheapest way of any spiritual protection that you can acquire. However, it requires time, dedication, and a good enough memory to remember to do it when needed.
What is visualization protection?
Visualization is a technique where you imagine and see something to the best of your ability with your eyes closed. With practice, you will be able to do it with your eyes open, but you are better to start practicing with your eyes closed until you have a routine and the ability to do it almost without thinking.
How does visualization help?
Visualization will help do many things, and if you are on a journey of spirituality, it is something you must master. It will help with grounding, protection, connecting with guides and loved ones, and receiving messages and information.
How to do Visual Spiritual Protection
Visual protection is usually done after grounding. However, it can be done at any time that you feel the need.
- Start in a quiet area where you will not be disturbed. I usually find doing this first thing in the morning works best before all the daily stresses start.
- Close your eyes.
- Imagine a white light in your heart.
- See that light gently and continuously growing until it encompasses your whole body.
- Allow the light to become your “bubble.” See the light surrounding you on all sides like it is your bubble. in front, behind, above, below, and on your sides.
- Keep the bubble around you. Keep this bubble around you all day. If you ever feel like it is not there or require extra protection, complete the simple steps again.
One of my dear readers has messaged me to ask: “Can you visualize white light surrounding your loved ones too?”:
I thought this was a very good question and told them I would add it to the post.
My answer was, Yes, absolutely. I visualize white light around our car when we are all traveling. You can do this technique to anyone you feel could do with some extra protection.
So thank you for asking Lydia!
Questions are always welcome. They help everyone.
That is it.
If you want to have physical objects to help enhance the protection, although you can use the physical objects to do the protecting for you, then read on:
Spiritual protection with smudge kits
Smudging has been used for many years and in many traditions such as feng shui, Native American and First Nations rituals, and alternative healing.
The First Nations and Native Americans used herbs to purify and bless people and places. However, most cultures would not use sage as it is more commonplace now. Redcedar was used more widely with the purification and healing ceremonies, and it was sometimes used in their hospitals to “cleanse and repel evil influence.”
The gathering of these herbs specifically used for ceremonies would have to have had special care taken when they were collected.
The Native American tribes used many other herbs and resins, and they had different uses, but this is a completely different topic that I would like to do an article on. But as for this article, we will use the more common herb of sage.
Now you have your smudging kit, what do you do with it?
How to Smudge
Smudging may seem complicated, risky, or only for the Shamans of the Native American tribes, but in reality is very easy and completely safe if done correctly and by a responsible adult, taking all precautions necessary.
Ensure that the time and place are correct for doing the smudging. Ensure you will not be disturbed, and make it as much like a ceremony as possible. This will help with the clearing and protection of the space.
- Gather your smudge kit, a fireproof dish, a dish with salt, and a candle in your starting place. Use a safe and sturdy area for this, a dining table or kitchen countertop.
- Light the candle while saying a positive protection affirmation or prayer of your choice. You can either do this out loud or in your mind. It is best to focus on this whole affirmation throughout the process completely.
- While still saying the affirmation, light the smudge stick at the tip and move it around gently until the smoke forms.
- While holding the smudge stick over the fireproof dish, continue to say the affirmation and move it around the space that you intend to protect and clear, ensuring to get the smoke into the corners of the rooms.
- When you have been all around the area you are clearing and protecting, go back to your bowl of salt and gently extinguish the herbs by pushing them into the salt.
If you are smudging yourself or another person, do the same as all other steps. However, you need to move the smoke around that person’s energy field. There is no specific order to do this; do what feels right. Remember to say the positive affirmation as you do it.
Read more: Do Positive Affirmations Work?
Tibetan Singing Bowl Sets
There are many types of singing bowls, all with different characteristics. Some information that I have read says that there are at least 101 basic types of bowls, with over 170 supplementary types. For now, though, we are only going to concentrate on the more common type, which are bowls that have the same wall thickness throughout the bowl. If you would like to read more about the history and uses of the bowls click here.
As you may be aware, different frequencies and tones will resonate differently with each chakra, and you can get singing bowls for each chakra, as seen below. This will also be another article that we will cover in the future, but again, you can use any singing bowl for protection.
I find that buying a higher quality singing bowl will be nicer to use, as the metals are purer, and this affects the sounds and ease of use. But all singing bowls require a bit of practice to get the techniques right, so make time to get to know your bowl.
Now that you have your bowl and have practiced with it, it is time to put it to use.
Using a Singing Bowl
This is very easy to do once you have got the hang of your bowl. However, the ease of it should not make you nonchalant in its use as a protection and cleansing tool. Use the same principles with the singing bowl as you do with smudging; it is a ‘ceremony’ as much as that is so:
- Allow yourself the time that you will not be disturbed.
- Start in a specific area of the home or space you are working in.
- Start by saying a positive protection affirmation or prayer of your choice. You can either do this out loud or in your mind. It is best to focus completely on this whole affirmation throughout the process.
- Move around the space ringing the bowl with the mallet moving around the rim at a steady, constant speed making the pleasant sound you have hopefully managed to master. If you haven’t managed to master it, do not worry; do your best. Keep your intention to the highest good.
- After entering each space or room while ringing the bowl, move around the whole space and ensure you get into the corners.
- If you feel that there is a need to add more cleansing or protecting energy to any part of the space, give the bowl a strike with the rubber or felt end of your beater.
- Make your way around the space in as much of a circle as possible, returning to your starting point.
Spiritual protection with Tingshas
Tingshas are a pair of small cymbals, usually 2.25 to 4 inches in diameter, that are usually tethered by a leather strap but sometimes, and more rarely, by a chain.
They often indicate the beginnings and ends of meditations within the Tibetan Buddhist communities. However, they have similar tones to some struck singing bowls, which makes them ideal for energy clearing and cleansing.
Other than the sizes and tethers, there are 3 main types of tingsha. Flat, raised images or symbols or embossed. These qualities, alongside their size, will make each tingsha set sound unique. However, the higher the quality, the closer the 2 will sound to each other. The highest quality will have identical sounds to each other.
Tingshas are ideal for people with limited space as they offer the same protection and cleansing as singing bowls.
Using these is the same as the bowls, but instead of striking them or running a mallet around them, you hold the leather strap approx 2 inches above each cymbal and strike them together.
Again, as I have written above, make sure that you ensure you have the time available to be undisturbed and treat it as a ceremony. I will give some examples of positive affirmations that you could use at the end of this article.
All crystals have a vibrational frequency, and the type of crystal determines what that frequency is. This, in turn, gives them a vast array of uses; grounding, protection, cleansing, healing, dream aids, psychic enhancements, and even astral projection. We are going to be focusing on protection stones in this article.
Although all of the crystals listed in the tables below will be good for protection in general, I have split them into two groups. The first group is aimed more toward spatial protection, and the second is more personal. There will be duplicates, as some crystals can be used for personal and spatial protection, but I have included different types of the same crystal.
I have defined spatial protection as anything that will protect you and the space that you are in at a specific time, such as a house. Personal protection is as it sounds. Protection from EMF means Electromagnetic fields, TVs, laptops, microwaves, etc.
Crystals to Block Negative Energy (Spatial Protection)
All of the crystals in the table below are good for spatial protection. If there is no listing for environments in which to use them, you just put them wherever you feel like you need a little extra spatial protection. There is no “right” place to put them; a lot of it is a personal choice. However, if there is a specific location listed, this has been found to be an ideal location for them.
- Angelite. – Angelites are a general, spatial protection stone. As with other general spatial protection stones, place them around your home, and in any area you feel requires protection.
- Black Sardonyx. – Black Sardonyx absorbs negative energy very well. Use these in areas you know to have negative energy that you cannot otherwise avoid. Work environments are a very good example of this.
- Carnelian. – Carnelian will protect spiritually against envy, rage, and resentment. Place these near your front door to keep these out of the home.
- Kunzite. – Kunzites are individual and environmental protection stones.
- Prehnite. – Prehnite is for protection against nightmares and phobias. Keep these by your bed for protection against nightmares or on your person if you have phobias that you wish to overcome.
Crystals for Protection from Negative Energy (Personal Protection)
Personal protection stones are amazing at protecting your personal space and emotions. I wear some of these daily. There are situations in which some are better than others. However, they will give you added psychic protection, whichever you choose.
- Cats Eye (Beryl). – Cats Eye has an amazing property for protecting the aura. This helps when meeting people that you get ‘bad vibes.’
- Labradorite. – Labradorite has a mystical protective quality that also deflects unwanted energy from the aura.
- Laser Quartz. – Laser Quartz has been known as a psychic surgery tool as it detaches entities and attachments to people and cuts away negativity of all kinds.
- Obsidian. – Obsidian will form a psychic shield to protect negativity.
- Staurolite (Fairy Cross). – Staurolite has been known as a protective talisman for a long time. Keep it with you when going into areas known to require extra protection.
- Tigers Eye. – The same as Staurolite, Tigers Eye is another protective talisman, but this is against ill wishes and curses particularly.
- Tourmaline. – Tourmaline has been a protective stone to provide a shield around the body during Shamanic rituals.
Protection Stones for personal and spatial use
Protection stones are a wonderful tool for creating a protective barrier around you and your environment. These stones have been used for centuries to safeguard against negative energies, psychic attacks, and other forms of harm. Whether you are looking for personal or spatial protection, there are a variety of stones to choose from.
- Amber. – General Protection.
- Amethyst. – The high vibrational frequency of Amethyst makes it an amazing stone for protection against Psychic attacks.
- Black Tourmaline. – Protection against EMF (Electromagnetic fields), TVs, Microwaves, etc. Put sones like these near producers of EMF.
- Bloodstone. – General Protection.
- Boji Stone. – General Protection.
- Chiastolite. – Chiastolite is great when you feel like there may be Ill wishes and curses against you.
- Fire Agate. – This is another stone that is great against ill wishes and curses.
- Fluorite. – Use Fluorite for situations where you feel like you may be being psychically manipulated. Also great against EMF
- Iron Pyrite. – Iron Pyrite will protect against negative energy of all types, including pollutants and infectious diseases.
- Jade. – Jade will protect you against spiritual harm. Asian countries used it as burial suits to protect their Royals.
- Jasper. – Jasper will protect you from general psychic attacks and also from nightmares.
- Jet. – General Protection.
- Malachite. – This is a new and very important stone. It will absorb all negative energies. It must be cleansed on a bed of crystal Quartz before and after use.
- Petalite. – Shamans used Petalite for Shamanic protection.
- Smoky Quartz. – Protection from EMF.
All of the above crystals are brilliant for protection, and I advise that you own a few, even if it is only to keep yourself and your home protected.
Scents for spiritual protection
Scents have long been used as tools for many spiritual rituals and use. This part of the article will concentrate on some of them. However, there are many more that I will be posting a specific article on in the future.
Incense for Spiritual Protection
Incense is a lot like smudging. It provides a smoke that will clear negativity and provide protection from all things psychic. I use it daily. There are many types of smells that you can use, and we will go through the smells in the oils section below.
You can usually light incense in a room and let the smoke naturally dissipate into the area on its own. However, this does not mean that you can’t move around the room as you would with smudging. Just remember to hold something to catch the ash as it drops off!
Essential Oils for Protection
Essential oils have also been used in the medical community for a very long time for various things, including folk medicine. The earliest known record that mentions methods used to produce essential oils was of an Al-Andalusian (Muslim-controlled Spain) chemist, pharmacist, and physician, Ibn al-Baitar, 1188-1248.
They are still used today in modern medicines. However, they are usually talked about in their chemical compound formula names. For instance, Wintergreen oil is used in deep heating creams such as Bengay. However, it is called Methyl salicylate.
Spiritual uses for essential oils date back to approximately 1500 BC and probably much earlier. This has been found in the Ebers papyrus, one of ancient Egypt’s oldest and most important medical papers. However, it is believed that this scroll was copied from earlier texts.
How to use Oils for Spiritual Protection
There is a long list of Oils that can be used for spiritual protection, but before we get into what oils can be used, let’s look at how to use them in more modernly conventional ways.
They can be added to water, put into spray bottles, and spritzed around spaces and people requiring protection. Use like you would smudge and incense; dedicate time to do it properly.
Before you make these sprays, remember that oils and water do not mix, so you will need to add a surfactant to the bottle to allow them to mix. Just a few drops of general, cheap washing-up liquid will do the trick.
This is how I make my spritz bottles:
- Put 1 or 2 drops of washing-up liquid into a spray bottle.
- Put equal amounts of your chosen oil into the bottle.
- Fill the bottle just below the top with fresh, cold water.
- Shake gently until it is mixed well.
- That is it.
The amounts of oil and washing-up liquid will need to be adjusted for the size of the bottle and the strength of smell that you desire but have an experiment. Remember that you can always add more oil. Here, you can buy a pack with everything you need (except for the oils).
As with incense, you can just “set up and leave” your oils to do the work with an oil diffuser.
Which Oils to Use
Now that you know what to do with them, we must look at which you want to use. There are so many varieties of oil that you can get, and spiritually, some of them are better at protection than others.
Here is a list of oils you can use for spiritual protection in a spray, burner, or diffuser.
- Tea Tree
- Turmeric Oil
- Ylang Ylang
This list is by no means extensive, and this article is not designed to go into the individual properties of all the benefits of all available oils. However, the list above is a very good start. If you own some of the oils, then feel free to experiment with them. If you like oils and feel like you will use them for protection and other spiritual uses, you can buy a set with these and a few other oils.
Sea Salt for Spiritual Protection
We have all seen movies and programs where salt is used to protect from negative energy, but unlike Allison from Hocus pocus, we do not recommend throwing salt around your room.
Salt has also been a protective aid in spiritual work for many years. While you may initially reach for table salt, this is not the same. Table salt is a chemical that is produced to put on your food. It may have some spiritual benefits; however, you want natural sea salt.
There are Asian beliefs such as Buddhism and Shintoism that have used salt to repel evil and purify spaces for many, many years.
Salt is very good for cleansing, too. But this article is about spiritual protection, so…
How to use Sea salt for protection
Sea salt is one of the easiest methods of protection. However, you still need to put a little time and effort into it. Let’s have a look at how to do it.
- Get a nice bowl. This will always be the one you use for your salt.
- Get some nice sea salt and place it in the bowl.
- Place the bowl in an area where you want to be protected and say a positive protection affirmation or prayer of your choice while concentrating on the bowl.
- Leave the bowl there. That is it. If you want to keep more areas cleansed, then you can add more salt in more areas.
- You can also add it to water to protect whatever you clean with it. Add it to a spray bottle and clean areas of your home if you wish. However, be careful with this as it may leave salt stains!
- Also, of course, you can add sea salt to your bath to boost personal purification and protection.
Mirrors for Spiritual Protection
I like the amulet necklace type of mirror as it will give you protection the whole time you wear it. I like ones such as this:
Mirrors have had a spiritual connection for as long as they have been made. You can use them in multiple ways, such as scrying, etc. But this article is only looking at their protective ability of them.
Using a mirror for protection is as easy as using a crystal. First, we have to look at how they work for protection. Mirrors will, if intended, reflect all negativity away from your Solar Plexus Chakra back to the people aiming that negativity toward you.
How to use a Mirror for Protection
Now that you have your mirror (preferably a necklace, as it will sit directly in front of you all of the time.) It is time to use it. Getting this sort of protection really is quite easy. However, as with most protection options, you must dedicate time and effort.
I like to do this at the same time as my own visualization protection, as it encompasses the mirror simultaneously.
- At the time of starting to do your visualization protection, make sure that you are wearing your necklace.
- While seeing the white light coming from your heart and starting to grow, be sure to see that light go into the mirror simultaneously.
- When you have visualized that light encompasses you, see the light shoot straight out of the mirror in a cone shape. This light will be there all of the time and will reflect all of the negativity that is directed toward you.
If you have already done your personal “bubble” and then decide to wear your mirror to add to the protection, then you can do something like this:
- Hold it entirely between your hands and in front of your heart chakra.
- Close your eyes
- Imagine a bright white light growing and encompassing the mirror and shooting out from the mirror.
- Wear the mirror as normal.
- That is it.
I have tried to give you as many varieties as possible with as many details as possible for one article. However, there is more to some of the methods I have gone through, but they are only additions and extra information. If there is enough extra information for any of the topics, I will try and do separate articles for those topics.
I hope that the information I have provided will help you on your spiritual journey. Be sure to leave a comment below if you use any of the above techniques, or indeed if you have any other techniques you would like to share with us.
I hope this helps. Blessings to you.