In our fast-paced, technology-driven world, feeling disconnected from ourselves and the world around us is easy. We can become so caught up in our daily routines that we forget to take a step back and ground ourselves. This is where spiritual grounding comes in. Grounding is the process of connecting to the earth and our inner selves to find balance, peace, and stability. It’s a crucial part of any spiritual practice and can significantly benefit our mental, emotional, and physical health. In this blog post, we’ll explore spiritual grounding, why it’s important, and how you can incorporate it into your daily routine.
What is spiritual grounding?
Having spiritual grounding means having a solid spiritual connection to the Earth. Grounding is an essential part of life in general, as well as if you are a spiritualist. There are a few reasons why you may need to ground yourself and also why you may become ungrounded in the first place.
Because all humans are spiritual beings of energy, they naturally tend to “float” a little. That isn’t always a problem, only when you become a bit too floaty. Although that may sound quite good, being able to float around without a care in the world, not being grounded, or being ungrounded can have some rather nasty side effects.
Reasons For Becoming Ungrounded
Have you ever felt like you’re not quite yourself? Maybe you’ve been feeling scattered, unfocused, or easily overwhelmed. Perhaps you’re experiencing anxiety, depression, or physical symptoms like headaches or fatigue. These are all signs that you may be ungrounded. Being ungrounded means that you’re disconnected from the earth and your inner self, which can leave you feeling off-balance and out of sorts. In this section, we’ll explore some of the common reasons why people become ungrounded, so you can identify the root cause and take steps to restore your grounding.
- Working with spirit. – Any spirit work will cause you to become ungrounded.
- Working with energy (Healing, etc.) – Reiki may seem less of an issue. However, it may still cause this problem.
- Being tired. – Tiredness is a little bit of a double-edged sword, as it is a cause and can be an effect of being ungrounded.
- Injury. – Have you ever hurt yourself and felt a little bit woozy? That, too, may mean that you require grounding; however, the physical aspect of the injury and shock MUST be addressed first!
- Other. – There are other, less-known reasons for becoming ungrounded. You may start feeling as though you need to ground yourself without signs or symptoms. You can not ground yourself too much!
How To Tell If You Need To Ground Yourself
Have you ever felt any of the following? If you have and there is no medical reason for them, then they may have arisen from the need to ground yourself:
- Lightheadedness or dizziness. – Have you ever seemed to go lightheaded or dizzy for no reason or after doing any of the above causes?
- Still tired after a restful sleep. – As pointed out above, this can be a cause or effect of being ungrounded.
- Unable to concentrate or focus. – When you seem to ‘zone out’ from work, reading, or even having a conversation.
- Forgetfulness. – Forgetfulness can fit into the “unable to concentrate” category if it is short-term. Like when you forget what you went into a room for. Or it is its own thing entirely if you have a few days of being more forgetful than usual.
- Clumsiness. – Tripping over the step that has been in the same place for as long as you can remember? Walking into the doorframe that never moves? Dropping things when you are usually quite dextrous?
- Agitation. – Although this can come from most of the above side effects, it can be one on its own.
- Anxiety. – Anxiety can be a massive issue for many people, and it too can be a side effect of needing to ground yourself, especially if you seem to feel more anxious than usual.
As you can see, the list above does tend to indicate the need for grounding if you have any of those symptoms more than usual. That is because these symptoms are not only caused by being ungrounded. You must assess your own situation.
Why Is Spiritual Grounding Important?
From the section above, you can see that some of the symptoms are bad. They are certainly not feelings you would wish for. Basically, that is the reason that grounding is so important. Many issues that can arise from the need to ground yourself can have roll-on effects in your everyday life and start to cause severe problems.
It could become quite dangerous if you feel that you are becoming ungrounded while doing many of even the most mundane tasks. Take washing the dishes; for example, you drift away while reaching into the bowl with something to clean, and before you know it, you are running your hand down a kitchen knife!!
Clearly, this is not a good situation. Things get even worse when you start looking at more involved and complex tasks such as driving, operating machinery, etc.
However, this only covers the general side of things. It is also important to ground yourself when working with energy and spirit so that you don’t start to feel any of those things while you are working or after you have finished.
Not only will grounding yourself stop you from having any of these effects, but it will also keep you in the here and now of your actions. So if you are working with spirit and have protected and grounded yourself properly, it will give you the best experience. Meaning that you will remember more of your feelings and emotions as well as hearing, feeling, or sensing any messages that you may have come through that you may have otherwise missed.
Now that you know why you may be ungrounded and how it may affect you, we must look at ways to ground ourselves and keep ourselves that way.
Spiritual Grounding Meditation
You should do this meditation whenever you start to do any work with energy. It is an easy thing to do, but likewise, it is easy to forget to do it. So try to make it a routine to ground and protect yourself every time you work. It will then start to become second nature to you, and you will eventually need to spend less time doing it because you become more proficient at it.
- Start in a cleansed space. – You can do this by smudging etc. See my post on Protection.
- Make time. – Ensure you have enough time to complete the grounding without being disturbed.
- Get yourself comfortable. – Sit or lie down in a comfortable position.
- Close your eyes.
- Relax. – Take some deep, slow breaths.
- Feet. – Keep them flat on the floor – without socks and shoes is better.
- Visualize your grounding. – Here is where you can use some creativity. If you intend to ground, and that is what you are thinking about, then you can use various techniques. Here are some of my favorites:
- Imagine tree roots coming from your feet. See them going into the ground, all the way down to the center of the Earth. (If you are sitting in the lotus position, you can visualize them coming from the root chakra). See those roots wrap around the center of the Earth.
- See your feet in the sand. Imagine you were standing on a warm beach with your feet in the sand. See the water splashing over them and really try to feel it. Feel the connection between you and the sand, water, and the Earth in general.
There are other ways to visualize grounding, but you can find whatever suits you. It is about intention, so it will work if you do it with the right intention. Comment below if you have any other ways that you have found to work for you!
Physical grounding can be done whenever and wherever you feel appropriate. Some of the ways mentioned can still be done before and after any type of energy work.
- Drink water. – You need to sip it with the intention of grounding yourself. Feel the connection between the water and the Earth while you are drinking it.
- Eating. – Eating is an easy way to ground; however, like drinking, you have to have this as an intention.
- Stomp your feet. – A fun way to ground yourself; however, remember you may look like you are having a tantrum!
- Nature. – Nature is an excellent way to ground yourself. Take some time out, maybe take a picnic in a beautiful park.
- Walking barefoot. – Using this is a little like the visualization technique, but feeling the physical connection between your feet and the ground will do the same.
- Exercise. – Not only is this good for your physical health, but it is also perfect for your spiritual health too.
Spiritual Grounding Crystals and Stones
To add to the lists above, you can either incorporate crystals and stones into your rituals or have them as added help throughout your day. Here is a list of crystals that are good for grounding:
- Agate (All kinds). – Agates will help bring stability and balance within the emotional, physical, and intellectual energies and balance yin and yang.
- Fire Agate. – Fire Agate has an amazingly energetic connection to the Earth, giving calmness, security, and safety.
- Chrysoberyl. – This stone will ground and protect you at the same time!
- Bloodstone. – This stone grounds the heart chakra, reducing aggression, impatience, and irritability.
- Galena.- A general grounding stoneMagnetiteHaving a magnetic field from the Earth keeps you grounded.
- Smoky Quartz. – One of the most effective grounding stones. It will also help raise your meditation vibrations.
- Tourmalinated Quartz. – General grounding while deflecting negative energy.
- Brown Spinel. – This stone directly connects you to the Earth to ground you.
- Brown Tourmaline. – Clears and opens the Earth chakra
- Unakite. – Grounding for after meditation or energy/spiritual work
The stones above are some of the best grounding crystals. There are more of them, and I would like to do an article on those in more detail. So keep an eye out.
I hope this helps. Blessings to you. Please Share this on your social media if you like it. 🙂
2 thoughts on “Spiritual Grounding – A Beginners Guide”
Thank you for this explanation. It is most helpful. My question is regarding crystals. How do I know I am getting authentic crystals and not a man-made creation? Once I obtain the genuine crystals, how do I cleanse them for my use, and how often should they be cleansed after in my possession?
Hello Suzanne. We are happy you found it helpful.
So, regarding the authenticity of crystals, of course, buying crystals from a reputable store is best, but we know that’s not always possible. There are, however, a few of things that you can look out for when buying or holding a crystal to make sure it is not artificial:
1. Real crystals are cool to the touch. (After a while, they will warm up with your hand.) That’s because natural minerals hold heat for less time than artificial crystals.
2. Real crystals are also usually heavier than artificial ones – but you can only check this if you have 2 or more. If they feel suspiciously light, with the exception of Jet (that is a mineraloid), they are probably fake.
3. Fake crystals have many fewer (if any) imperfections, unlike real crystals. You will often see striations (lines) and air bubbles in real minerals and not in artificial ones.
4. Most of the crystals we buy are pretty hard on the Mohs scale (6+), but glass and plastics used to make artificial crystals are lower, thus softer. So, if they scratch easily, they are probably not real, either. However, some, such as Calcite, Fluorite, and Apatite, are lower and you can scratch them with your fingernail, copper penny, or a knife, respectively.
5. If they look “too perfect,” they probably are not real.
As you have said about after obtaining the crystals, numbers 3 & 5 are your best bet.
After you have the crystals, you should cleanse them straight away, and then before and after you use them. Although it is an article about pendulums, we tell you how to cleanse them here.
I hope that helps you. Feel free to ask if you want to know anything else.